Tuesday, March 1, 2011

busy bee

Happy March! I like to call this "birthday month" - mine is the 9th and Nick's is the 31st, plus his mum's is this month too. Essentially, over the next 30 days I get enough cake to feed a small country. I have a serious weakness for/obsession with the trashiest of grocery store birthday cakes. Give me WHITE CAKE with mountains of WHITE ICING and I will be your best friend forever.

Upcoming birthdays aside, I also have a seriously busy March ahead of me. I have work in two art shows this month. One is a show partly curated by my friend Pippa for Art Matters, our university's yearly art festival that happens at a bunch of different galleries around the city. I'll be showing my Something from Nothing piece there on the 18th, more info here (the show is called GLASSHOUSES). The following week is the graduating show for my program which I have been organizing with 9 other people since September. Working with so many individuals has been incredibly trying but we've all worked hard and hopefully the show will be a success. I'll be showing some work that's been in progress for a few months now involving my old band t-shirts and a lot of gold beads. More on that soon...

In the meantime, I've been trying to teach myself new things when it comes to graphic design and illustration. I'm taking serious baby steps right now, but I'm hoping to sit down sometime soon and force myself to get way better at all the software I'm interested in using. For now, I made my first repeat pattern. It's sort of awful, but hey, it's a start! Here it is along with an example of it repeated:



Phew! I hope everyone's doing well and that spring is starting to show itself where you are...It sure is taking its sweet time here!


No comments: